Rich man’s and gold Coin puzzle
A rich man died. In his will, he has divided his gold coins among his 5 sons, 5 daughters and a manager.
According to his will: First give one coin to manager. 1/5th of the remaining to the elder son. Now give one coin to the manager and 1/5th of the remaining to second son and so on….. After giving coins to 5th son, divided the remaining coins among five daughters equally.
All should get full coins. Find the minimum number of coins he has?
This is an interesting problem.
We know that if the fifth son gets x5 then the fourth son gets x4 = 5*(x5 + 1)/4 – 1 = x5 + (x5+1)/4 and third son gets x3 = 5*(x4 + 1)/4 – 1 = x4 + (x4+1)/4 and so on. Representing what each son gets in terms of what the fifth son gets gives:
x3 = x5 + (x5+1)/4 + ((x5+(x5+1)/4))/4
= x5 + (x5+1)/4 + 5(x5+1)/16
x2 = x5 + (x5+1)/4 + 5(x5+1)/16 + 25(x5+1)/64
x1 = x5 + (x5+1)/4 + 5(x5+1)/16 + 25(x5+1)/64 + 125(x5+1)/256
From this we know that the fifth son (x5) must get a number of coins that can be expressed in the form x5 = 256y – 1.
The other requirement is that x5 must be a multiple of 5, because each daughter gets 4/5 of what the 5th son gets. That means that the final digit of y must be either 1 or 6 so that the final digit of 256y is 6. The smallest such value for y is 1, making x5 = 255.
Plugging in 255 for x5 gives
x1 = 624
x2 = 499
x3 = 399
x4 = 319
x5 = 255
with each daughter getting 4/5 * 255 = 204 and the manager getting 5 gold coins
204 * 5 + 255 + 319 + 399 + 499 + 624 + 5 = 3121 = 624 * 5 + 1. The minimum number of coins is 3121.
The second smallest number of coins possible is 18,746, which results from setting y = 6.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »