Two triangles with identical part shows difference, how is it possible?
There is a little trick – what looks like a triangle is not quite triangle in fact.
In the top image the hypotenuse is bowed inside and in the bottom image it’s bowed outside.
If you count the squares and find out how long the legs of red and green triangles are you see that their ratios are not the same which means that their angles are not the same and their hypotenuses in the picture are under a slightly different angle.
As the first answer from neha points out, it is not a triangle and you can determine that by looking at the ratios of the red and green right triangles. The green triangle has legs of 2 and 5 (2/5 = 0.4 ratio) and the red triangle has legs of 3 and 8 (3/8 = .375 ratio).
The full right triangle has legs of 5 and 13 (5/13 = .3846…) which is between the ratios of the other two triangles. This triangle should have an area of 5 * 13 / 2 = 32.5 squares. Adding up the areas of the pieces we have:
Light green: 8
Green triangle: 2 * 5 / 2 = 5
Red triangle: 3 * 8 / 2 = 12
Total = 7 + 8 + 5 + 12 = 32
There is 0.5 squares missing in the top figure due to the hypotenuse being bowed in and 0.5 squares extra in the bottom figure due to the hypotenuse being bowed out. The seemingly missing square in the bottom figure is accounted for by the 0.5 + 0.5 = 1 square.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »