Voting on how to distribute coins
100 coins are to be distributed among some number of persons, referred to by the labels A, B, C, D, …. The distribution works as follows. The person with the alphabetically highest label (for example, among 5 people, E) is called the chief. The chief gets to propose a distribution of the coins among the persons (for example, chief E may propose that everyone get 20 coins, or he may propose that he get 100 coins and the others get 0 coins). Everyone (including the chief) gets to vote yes/no on the proposed distribution. If the majority vote is yes, then that’s the final distribution. If there’s a tie (which there could be if the number of persons is even), then the chief gets to break the tie. If the majority vote is no, then the chief gets 0 coins and has to leave the game, the person with the alphabetically next-highest name becomes the new chief, and the process to distribute the 100 coins is repeated among the persons that remain. Suppose there are 5 persons and that every person wants to maximize the number of coins that are distributed to them. Then, what distribution should chief E propose?
If he proposes equal distribution rest all will refuse so that if E leaves they can get more money.
So the above given distribution is the best.
A and B will refuse.
If D refuses, E leaves. then D will have to propose.
To stay safe he needs at least one more vote, then he’ll break the tie.
at the most he can safely propose :
if he takes any more all others will definitely refuse and he won’t get anything.
So, there’s no point in D refusing to E’s proposal.
if C is given more than what D gets, he might refuse on account of jealousy!!
though C might refuse, this is the safest possible distribution that E can come up with.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Dr.Willam wants to operate for three different persons who were wounded. But he had only two surgical gloves. There is ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- In the gear arrangement, To which one will the needle touch, 1 OR 2Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A bridge will collapse in 17 minutes. 4 people want to cross it before it will collapse. It is a ...Read More »
- In a country where everyone wants a boy, each family continues having babies till they have a boy. After some ...Read More »
- A devotee goes to three temples, temple1, temple2 and temple3 one after the other. In front of each temple, there ...Read More »
- There is a perfectly accurate analog watch with hour, minute, and second hands. How many times a day do all three ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- In the middle of the confounded desert, there is the lost city of “Ash”. To reach it, you will have ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Some numbers are very mysterious. They are all integers. They have more than one digit. If you multiply them with ...Read More »