Maximum run in cricket puzzle
The answer is 1653 runs.
For an ideal case scenario, the (opening) batsman will hit a six on each ball. But if he hits a six on the last ball of the over, the strike will no longer remain with him in the next over. Thus, the best thing he can do on the last ball is to run 3 runs so that he retains the strike with him even in the next over(s). Thus the total runs that he can score in each over:
(6 * 5) + 3 = 33 runs.
But this will have to continue like above only till the 49th over; this is the actual twist, as in the last over, he can hit a six on the last ball as well because that will be the last ball of the match (and there is no purpose of giving the strike to the other batsman before the over ends).
Thus runs for the last over will be 6 * 6 = 36 runs.
Therefore, the maximum runs will be (33 * 49) + 36 = 1653 runs. (Theoretically)
The answer is actually infinite.
This is because there is no limitation to the maximum number of runs scored in a single ball. A batsman can run for how much ever he could. Even if there were no overthrows, he might be capable of running 4 runs or even 5(think of him as Usain Bolt…), or the fielder may be too slow to run after the ball and retrieve it in time.
We can never be sure how much runs he could score. According to theory, like NitinGurbani has said, it is 1653 runs. But we can’t be exactly sure.
Assuming a 50-over match, the maximum number of deliveries a batsman can face is 49 * 5 + 6 = 251 (i.e., a batsman coming in as opener facing first ball of the innings can face all 6 balls of the first over and all except first ball of the remaining overs because strike will have to be rotated at end of over.) And theoretically, he can score a six off every fall he faces. (that’s 1506 runs, much more than the max. total number of runs ever scored in a one-day match…!)
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »